Galette Dough or 1 Pre-made Pie Crust
~1.5 lb (2-3) baking apples, cored & sliced into 1/3” thick slices
1 ½ tsp cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, optional
⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
¼-½ cup brown sugar depending on the sweetness of the apple used
1” ginger, grated (about 2 heaping teaspoons) or ¼ tsp ground ginger
Demerara sugar, for finishing
Mikes hot honey, for finishing
Flaky Salt, for finishing
Pistachios or Pecans, for finishing
Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425F if you are using store-bought pie dough, or 375F if you are using home made galette dough (it is more effort, but it’s so much more flaky than store bought).
- Add the apples, cornstarch, cinnamon, brown sugar, ginger, nutmeg, and kosher salt to a large mixing bowl and toss to combine.
- Unroll the pie dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet, or roll the galette dough into a 10” circle and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Arrange the apples on the dough, leaving a 1½ ” border around the edges.
- Fold the rim of the dough up over the edge of the filling, tucking in excess dough as needed. Optionally, brush the pastry border with egg wash and sprinkle over some demerara sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes if using store bought dough or 40 minutes if using galette dough.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. To finish, drizzle over hot honey and sprinkle over flaky salt and chopped nuts. Serve with vanilla ice cream.