Yields 4-5 tarts
12 oz or 1 1/2 lbs cherries, pitted and finely chopped
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 package pre-made pie crusts
Goat cheese, optional
1 egg, beaten
Raw sugar, optional
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cherry preserve
2-3 teaspoons milk or water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To a small pan on medium-high heat, add the cherries, lemon juice, sugar, and salt, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often, until the cherries have softened and the syrup has thickened considerably.
- Remove the pie crusts from the package, and cut them down into ~8-10 rectangle-ish pieces about 4x6in in size.
- Spread a bit of goat cheese onto one piece of pie dough followed by 1-2 teaspoons of the cherry compote, making sure to leave a 1/4inch border around the edges. Top with another piece of pastry, and use your fingers to seal the edges of the pastry, then use a fork to crimp the edges shut and poke a few holes into the top to vent. Brush the top with egg wash, and sprinkle over raw sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 15-20 minute before
- Optionally, make a glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, fruit preserve, and milk/water. Just before serving, drizzle the glaze over the pop tarts.