For the filling:
2 cups mixed berries, if using strawberries hull & quarter them
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the pastry:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup butter, cubed & cold
1-2 tablespoons ice water
- For the filling: add the berries, cornstarch, sugar, salt, vanilla, and lemon juice to a bowl, toss to combine, and set aside.
- For the pastry: add the flour, sugar, salt, and butter to bowl. Use a fork or a pastry cutter to work the butter into the dry ingredients to create a coarse crumb. Alternatively, use your fingers to pinch the butter into the flour.
- Once the butter is incorporated, add ice water to bring it together. There will still be some dry portions, but when squeezed it should hold its shape.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface, combine it into a ball, and roll it into a circle, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Transfer the dough to a parchment lined baking sheet, mound the berries into the center of the pastry, leaving about an inch and a half between the filling and the edge.
- Using a knife, cut 1 inch slits into the dough and all around. Fold the rim of the dough up over the edge of the filling. Optionally, brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle over some demerara sugar.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.